Important Venue Information:
- Valid Identification is required
- All participants need to report to the registration helpdesk on 11 November 2011
- Entry to participants will be restricted to Upper Ground Floor (UGF) & Lower Ground Floor (LGF)
- What is a Startup Weekend?
- What do I need to bring along?
- What kind of ideas are welcome?
- What does it cost to attend Startup Weekend Gurgaon?
- My team and I are already working on a startup idea. Should we come?
- What is the schedule for the weekend?
- How many people will be at Startup Weekend Gurgaon?
- Is this the first time Startup Weekend has been held in Gurgaon?
- Will there be other Startup Weekends near by?
- Who’s behind this event?
- Is this about meeting people and exploring ideas, or is it really for people who want to start businesses?
- How can I be selected for a place at the JFDI–Innov8 2012 Bootcamp?
- Can there be more than 1 winner at the event?
- What criteria will be used by the judges to select the winning team?
What is a Startup Weekend?
Startup Weekends are 54-hour events where developers, designers, marketers, product managers and startup enthusiasts come together to share ideas, form teams, build products, and launch startups. With support from the Kauffman Foundation, they are loosely linked in a global network.
Tudor Coman came to Startup Weekend Singapore earlier this year looking to meet new friends. He ended up co-founding a company:
What do I need to bring along?
We’ll provide WiFi, food and drink for the whole event. All you need to take part is a skill to offer and a laptop (bring a 3G data card also, just in case). But if you have code libraries or special technology that could form the basis of a new product or service, bring it along. If you already have something up and running and want to find new collaborators, see below.
See how it all came together at Startup Weekend Philadelphia earlier this year:
What kind of ideas are welcome?
Anything legal that can be delivered over the internet or a mobile. Even offline, non-profit/NGO ideas are welcome (we had two NGO teams at Startup Weekend Hyderabad) By Sunday night, we expect to see a prototype or demo, so aim for something that’s achievable in that timeframe.
What does it cost to attend Startup Weekend Gurgaon?
We charge an entrance fee of Rs. 3,375 but there will be an automatic discount of Rs. 1,375 (available at ticket checkout time) to encourage serious participation. Everyone enjoys making new friends at Startup Weekends and the entrance fee helps to attract people who are also committed to achieving something serious in the time we have together.
Student tickets are available for Rs. 1000 but please be sure to bring a valid Student Identification Card to the event. It will be checked.
Buy tickets here.
- you’re not afraid to pitch the idea to an open audience, and
- you’re willing to add new people to the team. If new people contribute significantly, you might ask them to join the startup.
If you’re concerned about exposing your intellectual property to strangers, your current team might prefer to pitch a new feature or a new product direction that aligns well with your existing work. Over the weekend you could implement it more or less from scratch, with fewer worries and if you’re really really worried about your IP, then don’t pitch it but instead look to join another team, help another startup get off the ground, hack some code and have a great weekend.
What is the schedule for weekend?
7:30pm Pitches Begin (60 seconds per person)
9:00pm Attendees vote for the top ideas
9:15pm Teams start forming and discussing ideas. Dinner is served.
midnight Teams begin to work. You may stay and work as late as the venue will allow.
7:00am Doors open.
9:00am Breakfast & coffee
9:30am Teams resume.
7:30pm Mid weekend check-in, status reports, call for help
midnight Finished for the day. You may stay and work as late as the venue will allow.
7:00am Doors open.
9:00am Breakfast & coffee
3:00pm Gut check. Start prepping for presentations
6:00pm FINAL PRESENTATIONS
8:30pm Judging & awards
9:00pm Go home, or out for celebratory drinks.
Is this the first time Startup Weekend has been held in Gurgaon?
Yes, this is the first Startup Weekend in Gurgaon. There have been successful Startup Weekends in Delhi, Bangalore and Hyderabad. The top team from Startup Weekend Gurgaon will be selected to join the JFDI-Innov8 2012 bootcamp which includes $15,000 in seed funding for the startup team to make their idea a reality.
Who’s behind this event?
The event is being run by the Startup Weekend India team with a generous contribution by Airtel in hosting and feeding all Startup Weekend participants, mentors, speakers, and panelists. Special guests at the event will be The Joyful Frog Digital Incubator (JFDI), working closely with its key partner SingTel Innov8.
Is this about meeting people and exploring ideas, or is it really for people who want to start businesses?
All of the above. People come to Startup Weekend events around the world for all kinds of reasons. If you anything to contribute, you will be welcome. It so happens that one of the prizes on offer at this event is at least one place on the JFDI-Innov8 2012 bootcamp, but that won’t be something everyone wants to do.
Can there be more than one winner at the event?
Only one team will be offered a place at the JFDI bootcamp. However, other teams may subsequently be encouraged to apply and other prizes will be given to the second and third place winners.